[support] Tracking user IP addresses for duplicate accounts

bobman bobman at keinsinn.de
Thu Mar 13 09:11:06 UTC 2008

Larry Garfield schrieb:
> Hi again!

Hello,

> Another challenge I have is on one site, users keep signing up multiple times
> with more than one account.  That's a problem, as multiple accounts is
> against our site's TOS since we frequently have votes that are
> one-vote-per-account.  Our legacy system that we killed when we moved to
> Drupal had built-in IP logging every time a user logged in, so we could go in
> and check IP addresses in case we suspected a duplicate user.  We could also
> see the IP address someone signed up from, and match that against any
> recently logged IPs.
>
> Does anyone know of a similar tool for Drupal, or is this another module I'm
> going to have to write myself? :-)

Sorry, no technical answer, just some thoughts on this one.
That would mean, that people voting from their office or from their home
with many people behind one IP-Address (Home-Routers are really cheap
these days). That would not mean one vote per account, but one vote per
company or per home. Since this really isn't unusual it's the question
if you really want it that way.

Just my thoughts,
Robert Giebel