[support] Tracking user IP addresses for duplicate accounts

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Thu Mar 13 12:44:43 UTC 2008

On Thursday 13 March 2008, bobman wrote:

> > Does anyone know of a similar tool for Drupal, or is this another module
> > I'm going to have to write myself? :-)
>
> Sorry, no technical answer, just some thoughts on this one.
> That would mean, that people voting from their office or from their home
> with many people behind one IP-Address (Home-Routers are really cheap
> these days). That would not mean one vote per account, but one vote per
> company or per home. Since this really isn't unusual it's the question
> if you really want it that way.
>
> Just my thoughts,
> Robert Giebel

Yes, that's an issue, which is why we enforce it manually.  It's imperfect,
but it's been reasonably reliable in the past.  We rarely have multiple
members from the same company; if two users have the same IP routinely, 95%
of the time they live together and will confirm that when we ask them.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson