[support] Image queries

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Sun May 4 20:18:07 UTC 2008

On Sun, 4 May 2008 19:58:38 +0100
"Stuart Lawler" <stuart.lawler at visionline.ie> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I think these are probably very simple questions, but I'm
> relatively new to Drupal and am totally blind, hence my asking for
> some help here.
>
> I am developing a basic website for a small organisation in Ireland.
>
> My questions are,
>
> 1.  What steps to I take to replace the default Drupal logo or
> image with that of the organisation?  The image is a Jpeg file and
> I'm using the default Garland theme.

You overwrite the original logo you find in the theme directory or
you:
Administer -> Themes -> Configure -> Global settings
un-check the "Use the default logo" and
provide a path to a previously uploaded logo or Upload logo image.

> 2.  It would appear, from my viewing the default image within the
> site, that it appears as a link.  How can I stop it appearing as a
> link?

Edit the themes/garland/page.tpl.php

> 3.  Finally, how can I add some alt text to the image so that it
> will have a proper description for people who can't access graphics?

the alt tag of the logo in the garland teme is taken from the site
title.
If it is OK that way... you can adjust it in the
Administer -> Site configuration -> Site information.
If you want something different you should still edit page.tpl.php
Consider that you've alt and title tags to exploit.
I don't know which one take precedence when you use software helpers
for blind. Plus... as you noticed the logo in garland is surrounded
by a link that has it's title as well.

I'd say that a link to the main page and "Home" in the title/alt tag
can be helpful for non blind people. I don't know if they can be
misleading or add crap once passed to software helpers for blind
(text to speech or braille).
We'd be interested to know what is more comfort for blind people so
to make better sites.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it