[support] Clean urls

Cog Rusty cog.rusty at gmail.com
Tue May 20 03:03:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 5:08 AM, Troy <troythetechguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you.  I tried typing the clean urls in my browser, and they worked.  I
> then added $conf['clean_url'] = 1; to the end of my settings.php file, and
> now clean urls are enabled!
>
> I disabled the log-in block, so I log-in using the appended url ?q=user.
> Now that clean urls are enabled, I tried logging in by using
> www.sitename.com/user.  I receive the log-in prompt, but the log-in does not
> work, the page only refreshes.  Is this normal?

Of course it isn't normal. As I suspected, "If they do work, then the
problem is not clean URLs but saving your setting." The problem is
probably that your session is lost for some reason and for a moment
Drupal does not recognize you.

This can be hard to track. Did you say what your Drupal version was?

One thing which often helps in recent versions is to go to
settings.php and set $cookie_domain = 'example.com';
(important:*without* www) and remove the front #. Also check if there
is a wrong $base_url left over (if any).