[support] Drupal 6 page/block cache

Vasileios Lourdas drupal at lourdas.name
Tue Nov 11 22:26:14 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm using the latest Drupal 6 stable and I have two blocks displaying news
aggregated using RSS from two other sites. My performance settings are set as
below:

Page cache: Normal, Minimum cache lifetime: 30 mins, Page compression: Enabled
Block cache: Enabled
Bandwidth optimizations: Optimize CSS files: enabled and Optimize Javascript
files: enabled

I noticed that anonymous users (who see the benefits of page caching) rarely
see new/updated content. For example, today I visited the site and it
displayed the RSS news from a week (and more) ago! It's also a policy after I
add a new page, anonymous users still after days see the old front page (I
promote all content in the front page).

Why does this thing happen? What are the benefits of using cache if there's
not a reliable way to invalidate the cache and display new content for
anonymous users? What am I missing here? Right now, it seems to me that
disabling cache is the best way to go for my case. Even after force
reloading, Firefox still displays the old content. If I delete the cache,
then it's ok.

Thanks.
--
# Vasileios Lourdas,
# Informatics Engineer, Thessaloniki (Greece)