[support] Newbie PHPTemplate / Drupal Templating Question

Brad Abbott bradwabbott at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 18 02:01:08 UTC 2008

Drupal 6
Apache 2.2
Windows XP
PHPTemplate

I am trying to simply make a new template for my site which can be called by navigating to www.mysite.com/mynewtemplate.  According to http://drupal.org/node/104316, if I simply make a new template in my chosen theme directory, in my case "C: Program Files\Apache\htdocs\sites\all\themes\mytheme\page-mynewtemplate.tpl.php, Drupal should serve up this new template when I navigate to www.mysite.com\mynewtemplate without any further code modifications.  What am I missing?  Sorry for the ignorance, but I cannot get drupal to serve up my new page template.  I thought, at the very least, Drupal should serve up the original template "page.tpl.php" in my chosen theme directory.  I am working from a super simple, windows based, Apache 2.2 drupal 6 installation.  Is there any additional modifications that I need to make to the apache configuration file or .htaccess?  I would really appreciate a hint or link to a resource that explains more.

Cheers,

Brad