[support] multilingual sites with some content common to all languages in some nodes

Rémi Letot hobbes at poukram.net
Tue Nov 18 20:05:37 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am evaluating drupal to create an e-commerce web site, and have
experimented with e-commerce and ubercart. Both have strengths and
weaknesses, but I have found a common weakness that must also happen for
other sites.

When using the multilingual infrastructure, drupal creates duplicate
nodes to hold the different translations. This is fine and works very
well, until I have fields in the nodes that must remain syncronized
between the different languages. In my case, these are prices,
weight,... all "non textual" products properties.

I'm sure this has been a problem for other types of websites, as soon as
some fields in nodes are not textual, they do not need to be translated,
and become a problem when they have to be updated because they can
become out of sync.

Has anyone a solution or any pointer to a solution to this problem ?

Thanks,
--
Rémi