[support] Login problems

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Wed Oct 22 16:18:17 UTC 2008

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Hmm...  Are you behind a proxy?  Or are your sessions being duplicated
> or destroyed?  Try emptying your sessions and cache tables.

Nope, no proxy. I don't think that duplicated sessions are the problem.
On the contrary, the problem seems to happen when the browser has no
previous history with the website. The following seems to be a reliable
(if inconvenient) way to reproduce the problem:

1) Download a brand new browser. No previous history.
2) Go to the site.
3) Login.

** At this point the login silently fails **
** You are sent to the front page without being logged in **

4) Login a second time.

** Now the login works. **

5) Now you can log out and log back in and it'll work the first time. At
this point it becomes difficult to reproduce the problem again without
downloading a new browser. It is strange that simply deleting the
cookies doesn't seem to be enough to reproduce the problem. But if you
haven't used the browser for a while (don't know how long), the problem
is replicated.

The problem is not annoying, but it frustrates some users.

Daniel.