[support] Basic Questions About Organic Groups

Moses Elias iom at netvision.net.il
Tue Oct 28 13:27:32 UTC 2008

I am new to Organic Groups, and I have a couple of basic questions. If
anyone could help out it would be much appreciated.

1)

When I watched Zacker's famous OG tutorial video-cast, I noticed that when a
new OG group is created, you can assign a mailing group name in the typical
yahoogroup format, for example, xxx, which is then represented as
xxx at mysite.com when the mail is sent out to group members. Just like in the

Surely the drupal site is using a 6.x version flavor of Drupal, and this can
be achieved in 6.x - but currently I don't see how it's done. Zacker did
this when he created a new group? How can I achieve the same thing? I don't
see a field where the unique group-name can be provided as input.

I was told to try and use the og2list module. However, I notice that og2list
isn't available for any 6.x version. Is this feature possible using a
related module or maybe I've overlooked some feature?

2)

When you create a new organic group, any messages sent from the organic
group defaults to a mailing list style message. If I want the very same mail
to appear both as a mail message sent to a group member and is also an
identical forum message as well, how do I achieve that? I was told to try
and use triggers/actions but I don't see exactly how this can be done.

3)

What is the relationship between OG forums and OG groups. Can anyone please
explain the relationship/difference between the two?

Can someone also explain the difference between OG forums and regular
forums?

4)

How do I have a one to one relationship between an OG group that's created
and an OG forum? I understand OG sends out a mail messages to all members
subscribed to an OG group. But I want the same mail message that's sent out
to the OG group  members to also identically appear as a forum message.

One to one relationship between OG group email message and OG forum message.

Is that possible?

5)

How do I associate only one OG group with only one OG forum? For each OG
group that I create I want to have one and only one forum created.

Authenticated users will be creating groups/forums on the fly so I want to
limit their scope for errors. How do I link between the two of them?

6)

Is it possible to moderate an OG group? In other words, any email message
that is sent out under the group's name, is it possible to moderate the
message if the group owner/administrator decides that this group member
should be moderated?

Thanks,Moses

Technical Writing Services

http://www.itwrite.com <http://www.itwrite.com/>