[support] error installing drupal

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 3 22:21:25 UTC 2008

Quoting Michael Prasuhn <mike at mikeyp.net>:

> It would be nice if folks tried to at least verify the advice they
> give before sending it out to thousands of people.

I'm glad we have you to set the record straight.  The information
changes at lightning speed.  Tomorrow what you say may just be
incorrect as well.

1) sites/default/settings.php must be writable by httpd during the
initial install steps.  Reset to read only once installation is
complete.
2) sites/default might need to be writable by httpd depending on your
some configurations.  And is handy for the install steps to create the
files directory for you.  Reset to read only once installation is
complete.
3) sites/default/files must be writable by httpd regardless of if you
create it or you have your system set to allow Drupal to create it.
Otherwise, file and image uploads will not be able to occur.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/