[support] Can't view uploaded files.

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sat Sep 6 12:34:40 UTC 2008

Hello,

When I try to view an image by pointing my browser to:

http://server.com/drupal/files/ftp-uploads/foo.jpg

I get a Drupal page that says "page not found". I think I know why this
happens, but I don't know the solution. The Drupal "files" directory is
divided into two sub-directories:

uploads/
ftp-uploads/

Drupal uploads files to "files/uploads" and anything I upload through
FTP I upload to ftp-uploads. I just like this organization. The files in
  the first directory work fine. It is the ones in the second directory,
the FTP one, that give the "page not found" error.

MY THEORY:  Drupal must have a setting somewhere that tells it that any
path that matches files/uploads/* shall be interpreted as a real file path.

I need to find out where this setting is, and change it to "files/*".
But I don't know where that setting is. Perhaps a htaccess file

- I cannot prove the ftp uploads elsewhere. I am migrating to Drupal 5
and the existing site already has dozens of links that would be broken
if I moved the files.

- I really really don't want to have Drupal put its files directly under
'files/'. I am moving to a new uploads module that creates a directory
for every user. With a few thousand users, the "files/" directory would
become impossible to navigate for me.

Thanks for the help.

Daniel.