[support] Can we make Drupal to use or display data from external application ?

Metzler, David metzlerd at evergreen.edu
Thu Apr 16 15:13:46 UTC 2009

I have some code that I'm willing to share, but it will probably need
some heavy refactoring.  It works great of what I do, but it wasn't
really designed with general consumption in mind.  The general strategy
is as follows:

1.  Make sure the perl web service writes valid XHTML.
2.  Write a general module that does http requests and gets the data
based on get or post parameters that are passed in to a function.
3.  Use PHP's SimpleXML to parse the data coming in and get its innards
for display. (eg. $output .= $response->body->asXML();)
4.  To make the extrnal data really embeded, develop a custom filter
syntax so that you can embed data from the other application directly in
a drupal page/panel, etc.

If you have forms in the perl code, you'd need to rebuild the forms
using the forms api.

Lets take this off list.  I have some general code that I'm willing to
start a project with, and in fact have been meaning to.  Would you be
interested in collaborating on getting it ready for general consumption.

If you're interested, the best would probably be to contact me using my
non-work email, metzlerd at metzlerd.com, but I can always be reached here,
or via my drupal contact form on drupal.org.

Dave