[support] Importing Drupal users from one site to another with passwords

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 23 20:08:58 UTC 2009

Quoting Sam Cohen <support at newms.net>:

>> Why not just use mysqldump?  The data should transfer for the password.
>>  After all the hash is just characters.  If you really need a module, there
>> is http://drupal.org/project/importexportapi.
>>
>> --
>> Earnie
>

> It's taking users from a D5 to a D6 site and while a mysql dump would
> populate the user table -- I assume you mean just the user table --  if
> there are any other modules hooked into user_save they would be skipped with
> that approach.    I suppose I can test to see if anythings hooked into
> user_save first.  Do you know if in Drupal 6 a user_save affects any tables
> besides user -- not taking contributed modules into account?

I moved a site from one hosting company with MySql 3 to another
hosting company with the latest MySql 5 and from PHP4 to PHP5 and from
Drupal 4.7.3 to Drupal 6.10 without loosing users or data.  I
mysqldumped the data and used mysql on the other host to import the
data.  I set up the latest Drupal 4.7 and did an upgrade, without
modules.  I setup Drupal 5.0 and did an upgrade without modules.  I
setup the latest Drupal 5 version and did an upgrade without modules.
I setup the latest Drupal 6 version and did an upgrade without
modules.  I installed the Drupal 6 modules and did an upgrade.

>  Also, that module you pointed out hasn't been ported to 6 yet.

There is a patch in the issue queue I need to get back to.  It is
reported not to work, though.

--
Earnie
-- http://r-feed.com/           -- http://for-my-kids.com/