[support] Importing large files uploaded via FTP

Luke drupal at lists.tacticus.com
Thu Apr 30 21:09:05 UTC 2009

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009, Brian Puccio wrote:

> If it is FTP'd you can use http://drupal.org/project/filefield_sources

I like the idea of this module, however it depends upon IMCE, which is
really overkill for the use case.

I would like to go simpler, with maybe a dropdown of available files (from
a single server side directory), which the user could select as an
alternative to uploading one.
If I had to, I could even use a simple textfield wherein the user entered
the name of an already uploaded file.
My main need is to substitute this already uploaded file for the one which
would be obtained by performing an upload.  Otherwise, the attachment to
node method should be identical.

Node level namespaces are great, but not really a must, and I am more
worried about the primary objective.

I am toying with the idea of modifying the filefield_sources module to do
this, sans IMCE and the non relevant sources.

Does this seem reasonable, or would I be more likely to get where I'm
going by starting with some other module?  (Attachment comes to mind, as
does the core upload module, or just filefield itself).

Thanks

Luke

> On Apr 25, 2009, at 3:09 AM, Luke wrote:
>
> > I am looking for the best way to do something reasonably simple.
> >
> > I need to upload files which exceed the PHP upload limit (which can be
> > raised, but on shared hosting 8-15 MB is usually the top).
> >
> > The only way I know to do that, is through FTP.
> >
> > So, if a user has a big file, he uploads it via FTP, but then has to
> > attach it to a node.
> >
> > My question is: what is the most efficient or simple way to allow a user
> > to tell a node to import a file from a particular place?
> >
> > It will need to grab the file, place it in the normal files area, and then
> > delete the one uploaded via FTP.
> >
> > I suspect I'm going to end up using some mixture of CCK and PHP, but I
> > also can't imagine that I am the first one to need a solution to this
> > problem, so thought there might be some canned solutions out there.
> >
> > Luke
> > --

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan