[support] searching through tags: letting people group and give a title to group of pages

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Wed Aug 19 15:15:54 UTC 2009

I'd like users to be able to write pages, group them and give to
each group a title and some keywords.
Then if a group was made "public" other users (including anonymous
users) should be able to search trough "titles".

This just looks like letting people add taxonomy terms/tags and
assign them to pages with some extra bits.

Since I'm not planning to let people build a categorization tree I
could hand code all this. Right now I can't see the advantages of
bending taxonomy especially because I may add some extra information
to the "group" (eg. score of a group, private bit and other extra
fields that will be used to filter groups by different criteria
other than "title"), and I could use DB facilities for full text
search.
But maybe there is a module ready that mostly fit or fit my needs.

I'm mainly looking for on field experience on "user tagged content"
and search.

Group of pages may be something like:
- food I like most
- books I should read
- books to prepare XXX exam
- food I should learn to cook
- spicy food

and other users should be able to perform full text searches through
titles.

Letting users share the pool of already inserted tags is going to be
very slow, limit the expressivity of the "title" and still since
each user may decide if a group of articles is public or private I
won't be able to actually share groups.

On the other side maybe sharing tags may promote the choice of
popular tags and avoid scattered categorization.

Maybe I could just offer both... private group titles and
shared tagging.

thanks

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo