[support] hex codes in node_import files

Marty Landman mlandman at face2interface.com
Tue Dec 29 18:56:23 UTC 2009

I'm porting CCK content from a redesigned D4 site to D6 by extracting
the data in a PHP script, generating CSV files then using node_import
to create the new nodes. It's working out pretty well so far but I
hit the following snag on one of the content types. There are hex
encoded characters in the D4 content, somewhere in the importation
process the text gets truncated at the first appearance of one of
these eg. 0x99, 0x93, 0x94.

Am thinking the easiest way to handle it would be to preprocess the
data in my PHP script, converting to what it really should be anyway
ie. HTML special characters such as the following:

0x99 -> ™
0x93 -> “
0x94 -> ”

Anyone know of an existing utility to do this for me? Otherwise I can
code up a conversion method to accomplish it.

Marty