[support] development and production environments

cooper Quintin cooperq at cooperq.com
Tue Jan 27 10:41:15 UTC 2009

Victor Kane wrote:
> I'm willing to help practically any Indymedia journalist :)
>
> Let's take it a step at a time and solve this.
>
> 1. What do you mean it "crashes the server".
What I mean by this is, about a minute or 2 after the first page request
from the dev or testing branch, the server starts grinding to a halt.
MySQL queries become very slow and the system load shoots up
astronomically.  Apache crashes and the entire system becomes slow and
then unresponsive, requiring a hard reset.  I will have to get back to
you with the exact statistics after I have approval to run another
test.  (I can't just go about crashing our live server! ;)

> 2. Describe how you set up the system in more detail, especially, how
> is the original setup, describe it in some detail.
I should note again that I am running all of these on one server (with
different databases for each and a seperate webroot for each, also to
ari: I have made sure that the settings.php files each have the correct
url set as the base url, also we have a vanilla htaccess file with one
exception noted below.)  so the operating environment is exactly the
same for all 3, the only difference being that the test and development
versions are checked out from the subversion repository and the live
version is not, (it is still just the non version controlled file
system.)   The original setup is drupal core 5.15 checked out from CVS.
We have the memcached module installed and a few other modules (I can
post them if you think it is important.)  The server has 3.5 Gigs of
memory, and about 2 gigs are free during normal operation.  Additionally
we are currently using about 10% of our root partition's hard drive
space (40/400G).  We have about 8-9 established connections at any given
time on port 80 (according to netstat -ntpa)
Here again are the stats for the server: Server OS: CentOS 5 Drupal
Version: 5.15 php 5.2.8 apache
2.2.3 mysql 5.0.45 memcached 1.2.5

I suspected at first that it may have something to do with the way the
server is configured so I tried running the test environment on my
laptop (with an exact snapshot of the code and database) and my laptop
crashed in the same spectacular manner as the server.

> Victor Kane
> http://awebfactory.com.ar
P.S. Here is the 1 line we have added to the .htaccess file:
 RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^secure\.adbusters.org\orders\shoes$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$
http://www.adbusters.org/category/culture_shop/ethical_alternatives/blackspot_shoes
[L,R=301]

P.P.S  Whats the best way to get a list of all my installed modules and
versions for you guys?

--
Cooper Quintin
Freelance Programmer, Indymedia Journalist