[support] Birthday calendar?

Edsko de Vries edskodevries at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 18:16:59 UTC 2009

Hi,

Suppose we have a content type describing students; I've used the 'Title'
field as the student's name, and added (amongst other fields) a CCK date
field with the students date of birth.

Now I wanted to do something simple (or so I thought): show the birthdays
using the calendar module. However, there is an obvious problem: the date of
birth, say, 5-6-1978, should be shown on 5-6-2009 (and again on 5-6-2010,
..); that is, the year component of the date should be ignored. I tried:

- A CCK computed field "next birthday"; might be workable, but to be usable
in the calendar view it must be stored in the database, which means it's not
actually computed on the fly (all 'student' nodes must be edited and saved
again next year). Not great.

- A Views 'custom field' allows to do on-the-fly computations for Views
fields, which seems perfect; but unfortunately these cannot be used as the
Argument to the view.

Now I could of course write a custom module, but I was really hoping to
avoid that. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Edsko