[support] How to Fix a Messed Up Site

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Sun May 3 21:13:15 UTC 2009

It sounds like you are in a 6 of one, half dozen of another situation.

Attempting to clean up the existing site might feel like the shorter
path, and from a short term perspective it might be. But, in the process
of cleaning up the site, there is a fairly good chance that some cruft
will be missed -- and today's overlooked cruft is the fringe case bug
three months from now.

My advice: start from scratch. It might take longer over the next 1-2
weeks, but it will give you both peace of mind and a known, reliable,
documented foundation as you move forward.

Cheers,

Bill

Fred Jones wrote:
> They are selling products and there is no order data--the store part
> has never been live. Cleaning out both ecommerce modules is
> potentially feasible. There is a "guide" to this on the Ubercart site,
> but the lead there (who wrote it) recommends against it. :)
>

>> In terms of the overall upgrade to 6 - is this a stock theme and are there
>> upgrade paths to 6 for the modules in use. Sites that are done wrong in 5
>> can be a problem to move to 6. I have ran into that trying to move my first
>> attempt at Drupal from 5 to 6.
>>

> Yes, I had the same thought. The theme is custom and the site has a
> bunch of modules--not all of which I think are even used.
>

>> Fred, I know you know this but I will say backup everything before trying
>> this.
>>

> Several copies of the site already exist. :)
>
> Thanks!

Bill Fitzgerald
http://funnymonkey.com
FunnyMonkey -- Click. Connect. Learn.