[support] Drupal for image management, with metadata

Justin Gruenberg justin.gruenberg at gmail.com
Tue May 5 07:31:27 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 8:20 AM, John Callahan <john.callahan at udel.edu> wrote:
> 1) batch upload, even if only one directory

http://drupal.org/project/image_fupload

That module provides a pretty nice way for you to upload images.
Probably not 11k at a time nice, but it does work well and does allow
you to fiddle with some attributes per image when you upload.  It
works with ImageField (CCK) and image.module.

If you go the image.module route, theres some other batch upload
modules that can work with a directory on the server.

> 2) reading EXIF/IPTC image metadata and mapping them to taxonomy terms
> and/or CCK fields. 3) syncing attributes (i.e., edits to raw image EXIF/IPTC
> can update/reimport the node fields/tags and edits to node fields/tags can
> update the EXIF/IPTC metadata.)

I haven't done anything this complex with image galleries, but I can
say... expect to do a good amount of fiddling and possibly writing
some custom code to get what you want.

> I'm using Gallery2 right now (http://gallery.menalto.com/,
> http://drupal.org/project/gallery) and it does some (item #1 and partially
> #2) of what I need.  It even integrates nicely with Drupal for users and
> display of images and albums.   However, I use Drupal for many other sites
> (and I'd like to use views, lightbox, tags, etc...) and wondering if I can
> bypass Gallery altogether.  Any thoughts or experiences out there?   Thanks.

I'd say if gallery2 works for you, stay with it.  That's a package
thats built for hosting images.  If you're not afraid of getting your
hands dirty, drupal might meet your needs closer.