[support] Drupal for image management, with metadata

John Callahan john.callahan at UDel.Edu
Tue May 5 14:13:20 UTC 2009

Thanks Stefan.  When I looked a year ago, Drupal was not even an
option.  Now that D6 modules have grown and matured, it's looking much
better.  However, it's not there yet for image management, particularly
with regards to EXIF/IPTC metadata and file/database synchronization.
(I'm not worried about image manipulation other than scaling, and
potentially cropping and adding a watermark.  Imagecache does a lot of
what I need here.)

I can definitely see myself using Drupal for this in the future.  Easier
from the system admin/development perspective since I already run
multiple Drupal sites.  And, more importantly, content integration.  I
want to use the same taxonomy and CCK fields for my images as I do for
my typical web content.  When users search my web, I want to have images
returned alongside my other content, like new stories, publications,
blog posts, etc...   I actually don't want to use a separate image
management system but will do so for the time being.

- John

John Callahan
Geospatial Application Developer
Delaware Geological Survey, University of Delaware
227 Academy St, Newark DE 19716-7501
Tel: (302) 831-3584
Email: john.callahan at udel.edu
http://www.dgs.udel.edu