[support] CPU usage

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Wed May 13 12:17:29 UTC 2009

Hello Hans,

Thanks for the great info Replies below:

> If you can change settings on your server...

I can't. Shared host.

> The building of the cache takes a bit of time and consumes CPU also of
> course. It also all depends whats your ratio of logged in and anonymous
> users (you can see this easily in admin menu). If your problem with CPU
> comes from a lot of logged in users

Where can I find this ratio? The best I've found is the list of top
visitors in the past 3 days. It looks like anonymous visitors dominate.

> Make sure you disabled and uninstalled all modules which you don't use.
> Reduce number of cron runs and backups.

I disabled one module, but not much. Cron jobs are only once a day, in
the morning, and backups are done by the host.

> Try to see where the load comes from. Search and views (especially views
> with relationships) can be heavy consumers.

Hmm... I do have search and views. I'll take a closer look at those. I
think I can probably do without the views.

> A radical but very effective solution for reducing CPU is to
> install http://drupal.org/project/boost
> it makes a static pure html copy of your pages. I'm using it on a few
> sites with great success, page loads dropped to 0.3s for anonymous users
> and also server load decreased with factor between 5 and 10.

Thanks. I'll take a closer look. Is there any drawback to making static
pages? Can you edit the pages later? Why doesn't everybody use this?

> css aggregation is very good for loading speed performance; I'm not sure
> about the exact influence on cpu but I expect its not of much influence
> so I would put it on.

Ok, I've added it.

> Wim Leers has a very interesting article on page
> performance: http://wimleers.com/article/improving-drupals-page-loading-performance

Thanks!

Daniel.