[support] Unable to keep logged in to some sites when behind a proxy

Annet de Boer maiasaura at gmx.net
Wed May 13 19:42:45 UTC 2009

Hi Francesco,

I'm not an expert on this subject, but I know there are several ways of
authenticating users. Cookies can be disabled by browsers, so there are
other ways (not necessarily better) like storing session ID's in URLs,
for example. I don't know if the cookie gets stored on your proxy (but i
believe this is possible, technically speaking) isn't there an IT
department or other system admin that can tell you more about that maybe
(somebody who installed the proxy I mean)?
I assume once the host checks for cookies and none is found or is saved,
they use a different method of authentication.
Now the tests you did, in my eyes, seem a bit odd. Like, the normal
behaviour would be to log out, before switching to a different
connection, and also, your IP changes when you switch so it's not really
strange that you get thrown out.

But actually my question is, what is exactly the case?
In your first post it seemed the problem was you couldn't connect to
several drupal sites when you use a proxy-connection, but on one you
could and they were all the same drupal version?
I'm not sure now. Can you be more specific on the exact question you have?
Or maybe somebody else knows anything that might help?

I also remember there's an option in IE that says "bypass proxy for
local addresses", now i don't know if the site where it works is 'local'
for you, but if this option is checked maybe that could also make it
work differently.

Greetings,
Annet