[support] CPU usage

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Thu May 14 13:39:56 UTC 2009

I know Websense does pretty much the same thing as Blue Coat in "pre
scanning" sites. The best solution is to use css compression/aggregation
(in D5+) and javascript compression/aggregation (D6) to reduce requests.
Those are some of the files these services latch onto, and when they
read the entire site they won't cache the files, but rather reread them
on every page request.This will help keep the cpu usage down since
Apache won't have to keep spawning connections for the files.

 Also any kind of caching you can get in there. There are some scenarios
and modules it won't work with. For example - if your Drupal install is
in a subfolder of the web root. One way to fix that is to put Drupal on
its own subdomain.  Also trying op-code level caching like APC is a big
plus (generally a 20%+ increase). Another option is using something like
cacherouter with memcache and then enabling the page caching through
that. With apc+cache router+memcache, I can pump out over 200 requests
per second on an old dual-core AMD server and my load never goes above
60 using D6.

Of course if you are on shared hosting getting these things setup can be
very difficult, if not impossible (APC and Memcache require a system
admin to install and configure the modules). I would then look at going
to a managed VPS (if you aren't comfortable handling your own system
admin). Companies like wired tree have these services starting at around
$40 (us) a month.

Jamie Holly