[support] CPU usage

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Thu May 14 17:51:11 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I have new information. At the time the school was blocked, this IP was
taking up 500 HTTP connections and the server is configured to support
1000. So this one IP was taking up half of the HTTP connections.

500 connections seems absurd, and so I'm convinced that there's
something wrong at the school. The best hypothesis so far is the
pre-scanning thing (thanks Jamie).

That said, I would like to better understand what "500 HTTP connections"
means. If you get a single web page that has one HTML file, two images
and two CSS files, is that one HTTP connection or five? In other words,
does "500 HTTP connections" equate to 500 users or 100?

Also, I have no idea if 1000 HTTP connections is a reasonable
configuration or not.

Thanks.
Daniel.