[support] CPU usage

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Fri May 15 10:06:51 UTC 2009

Hello all.

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone or their help so far.

My website is likely to be very low traffic most of the time, but with a
few sharp spikes. Most of the year it's quiet, but close to the end of
the school year it gets much busier. Most of the day it is quiet, but
when one classroom starts using the site, I have 30 new users.

Is this site a good candidate for cloud computing, such as Amazon's EC2
service? My very limited understanding of EC2 is that it is "pay per
use", so when the site is quiet we pay little and when there's a spike
the service expands and we pay more. Is that correct?

Is that how cloud computing works? Do you think that the cost of EC2 for
us might be somewhere in between a shared host and a dedicated host? I
was thinking that EC2 or similar might be a way for us to bridge the gap
between a shared host and a dedicated host. But I'm not sure.

Thanks again.

Daniel.