[support] CPU usage

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Fri May 15 09:55:31 UTC 2009

Steve Power wrote:
> heys, i didnt mean to offend.

I wasn't offended. Sorry if I gave that impression. Email is really bad
at conveying emotion, you know. Thank you for taking the time to help
me. I appreciate your input.

> You prob dont need a
> dedicated host, can get away with a good vps, but if you've got 30 users
> hammering the server for 30 minutes then you have spikes to deal with,
> which was the bane of web1.0.

Can you recommend a managed VPS that might be closer to my preferred
price range? If we get something unmanaged we are likely to run into a
whole other different set of problems.

> It seems to me that the performance issue is an infrastructure, not an
> application, performance issue.

I took a closer look at the site and it appears that loading the front
page requires in the order of 30 HTTP requests. That seems like way too
much. Do you still feel its all infrastructure, or should we blame the
website a bit too?

Daniel.