[support] CPU usage

Steve Power steev at initsix.co.uk
Fri May 15 10:29:15 UTC 2009

EC2 can be viewed in the same way as a dedicated host in terms of
management. i.e. you have to be able to run the servers and OS like you
would a dedicated host. bytemark.co.uk are the only people i can recommend
for a vps, but again once you start paying for engineers to do stuff, you're
looking at similar prices to rackspace.

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Daniel Carrera <
daniel.carrera at theingots.org> wrote:

> Jamie Holly wrote:
>
>> Not really. I pretty much recommend people go with a bigger service like
>> RackSpace, which has a very solid reputation, but also comes with a steep
>> price tag (of course the old saying "you get what you pay for" comes into
>> play here).
>>

> How about Mosso? (www.mosso.com) A cloud service owned by RackSpace. But
> if I understand their pricing correctly, the service starts at $350/mo. I
> hope I'm wrong. If you look at http://www.mosso.com/cloud.jsp it says:
>
> "Step Two: Watch it Scale
> * Scale your bandwidth
>  Starts at 500GB/mo. As much as you need for 25¢ per GB
> * Scale your storage
>  Starts at 50GB/mo. As much as you need for 50¢ per GB
> * Scale your compute
>  Starts at 10,000 compute cycles/mo. As many as you need for 1¢ per compute
> cycle"
>

> So we have a minimum of: 500*0.25 + 50*0.25 + 10000*0.01 = $350/mo.
>
> :-(
>
> Honestly, our site would do fine with 5GB of disk space and 10GB of
> bandwidth.
>
> Daniel.

Steve Power
Principal Consultant