[support] Looking for tutorials on converting Photoshop PSD files into Drupal 6 themes

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Tue Oct 13 21:15:20 UTC 2009

Kelly Tanguay wrote:
> First of all, I'd like to mention how helpful this support list has
> been. I don't know how I could have gotten started with Drupal without
> it!
>
> I'm just getting started with creating my own themes. I feel like I
> understand the structure of creating a Drupal 6 theme using CSS and
> template files, and I am also pretty familiar with Photoshop though I
> haven't worked much cutting up PSDs to use on a website. I was
> wondering if there were any good tutorials, resources, or books that
> show how to convert a PSD file into a Drupal 6 theme from beginning to
> end. Any help at all would be appreciated!
>
> -Kelly

My advice (as someone else who is just starting with drupal), is have a
look at the Zen theme. It looks completely plain out of the box, but is
designed to make it as easy as possible to create your own themes based
on it. All the relevant files are well commented so you can see where to
make changes. I have done 2 site themes based on this; one is at
www.lancs.ac.uk/experimentality ; the other is still on a test server at
http://base.tikvanet.org:8001/potatopark .

Both have involved some small changes to the php template file (mainly
just moving code from one place to another on the page), but you don't
even need to do this if you are happy with zen's basic layout.

Also, firebug (a firefox extension) is your friend. If there is
something on the page you are not happy with, just click on it using
firebug and you will be able to work out what css rules to use to change
that page element based on the class definitions in the html source.

andy