[support] Trying to create a search form which allows users to input criteria and then displays matching nodes

Kelly Tanguay ocelotspot86 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 21:51:18 UTC 2009

Hello,
We are building a website for a car dealership. We have created a content
type for inventory which allows the administrator of the website to enter in
individual vehicles as inventory.

Now we would like to add a feature where a client can search through the
inventory. For example, if a client wants to see all cars that are made by
Honda, or if a client wanted to search for cars withing a particular price
range. Ideally we would like to be able to display the search results with
views, but can hard code the page to display the different nodes if
necessary.

I understand that I am going to have to make a custom form. From what I
understand, the best way to go about this is to take what the client
inputted, and use that information to get the form to query the database,
then display the nodes which match the criteria. However, I am a little
fuzzy about the details. Has anyone set up anything like this before, or
does anyone have any advice on the best way to go about doing something like
this?

Thanks for any and all help!
Kelly