[support] difficulty moving drupal from folder to root?

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Wed Jan 20 22:10:29 UTC 2010

Hi Tina,

There are many ways to handle this, my answer is one, that I have found the
simplest, easiest to implement.

My preferred way requires that you create a subdomain. It could be called
anything, but let's call it "drupal" so the domain would be:
drupal.example.com. In cpanel, and probably others, when you create the
subdomain, a subdirectory will automatically get created at
example.com/drupal. The Drupal files go in the drupal subdirectory. But you
navigate there via http://drupal.example.com and NOT example.com/drupal.

When you are ready to take the site live, back up the old site's files and
then remove them, and then simply move all the files and directories in
example.com/drupal to example.com/ (make sure the .htaccess file gets moved
with everything else).

With this approach, there is no need to fuss with the settings.php file or
with the .htaccess file or any other trickery.

Look at the following two examples for how you write paths for links
internal to the site. Let's say you have an "about" page, and you've created
a custom URL for it "about". During the development process it's url is:

http://drupal.example.com/about

For Drupal config screens that ask for a "path" like the menu set-up
screens, the path you will give is:

about

(NOT "/about"  and NOT  "http://drupal.example.com/about")

If you are creating a link to the about page "inline," meaning that you are
writing text in the "body" field or some other field and creating the link
"by hand" -- then you want use a "root relative" link as follows: <a
href="/about">Visit the about page</a>. Note that you WANT the leading "/"
in this case.

Hope this is clear!

best,

Shai