[support] Bizarre behavior with uploaded PDF files

donald at fane.com donald at fane.com
Thu Jan 21 03:23:08 UTC 2010

Hi Bob,

There are two different ways those files can be delivered to the
browser. One way is the files are really where the link says it is,
and the browser gets them from apache or IIS directly.

Some people like to hide certain files from public access. So they put
their files somewhere else, and Drupal goes and gets the file when
they're requested. The file is read, a header telling the browser it's
a pdf file is slapped in front of it, and it's sent out. That's called
a private file system.

It's that second method that can cause problems.

The setting is at admin/settings/file-system if you're using mod_rewrite.

It will work better if that's set to public.

-Don-