[support] support Digest, Vol 85, Issue 51

Nyk Cowham nyk at cowham.net
Sun Jan 31 13:32:54 UTC 2010

The quality setting in Image API affects the compression level of the JPEGs
that it creats. It's passed as a parameter to GD lib or ImageMagick,
depending on what library you are using. I could be wrong, but I do not
believe the original upload is discarded.

One thing that GD lib will do is set a default resolution (PPI) of 72ppi on
all JPEG images that pass through it. I am working on a post-processing
filter for ImageCache that will allow you to configure the PPI once all
other GD/ImageMagick libs are finished with it. However, this is only
necessary where you want to distribute print quality images, since 72ppi is
relatively optimal for screen output.

Nyk Cowham
Ashlin Interactive Strategy