[support] module to let user chose if a node is private

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu Jul 8 08:01:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 07:06:04 -0700
"Metzler, David" <metzlerd at evergreen.edu> wrote:

> No, I think you've hit the major ones.  If you do roll your own,
> you might consider something form_alter based that leverages
> content_access or some other module.  Think of it as simplifying
> the UI on another module.  It might make the path shorter.

Some comments on what I've found for future reference:

> http://drupal.org/project/nodeaccess
- it installed cleanly on postgresql
- it support aliases for roles. Nice to map anonymous users ->
  everyone, unfortunately I can't see how to add multi-language
  support
- you can't disable "grant per users", this is a problem in terms of
  interface and information leak. I can't use form_alter since there
  is a theme_ form and it has some hard coded html

> http://drupal.org/project/simple_access
- it seems very similar to the nodeaccess
- it has a bad track for supporting postgres.
- nice it has a beta for D7

> http://drupal.org/project/private
- could be the best fit, but I bet sooner or later I'll need
  features just the above modules have

> http://drupal.org/project/protected_node
- a bit different in scope (nodes are protected with a password)

content_access has a nice feature: it support buddylist but as said
it has a confusing UI for my needs and fixing it with form_alter
won't solve its unfriendliness to SQL (settings is a serialized
field).

I'll take some time to understand if I really need the extra
features of nodeaccess vs. private and in case I decide for the
former I'll see if I can tweak nodeaccess and if maintainers
are willing to accept some patches.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it