[support] Organic Groups - Subgroups

Sohodojo Jim salmons at sohodojo.com
Thu Mar 11 23:12:07 UTC 2010

Daniel Carrera wrote:

> I don't know a lot about OGs. Is there a way to create subgroups in
> Drupal 6?
>
> My customers are schools. I want to make an OG for each school, so all
> the students are registered with their school, and I want to allow
> teachers to create sub-groups to represent school classes. I figure that
> this would make it easier for teachers (and for me) to manage all the
> students (e.g. to check their work).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

	I don't know your specific business/organization requirements,
however it sounds like you might be at the wrong level of "modeling
granularity" when mapping your customer-schools to Organic Groups. Perhaps a
multi-site configuration would be more appropriate, each school with its own
site.

	If needed there are a ways to share content among multi-sites if
that is required while each site/school has its own completely extensible
platform on which to grow while remaining within the
best-practices/recommendation context of a shared/managed common codebase.

	As to OG/subgroups as a mapping for school/class, you've boxed
yourself into an OG-based solution (which is a constraint as much as it is a
potential solution). There are MANY ways that you can model/map a
part-subpart system in Drupal. OG-subgroups is just one somewhat obvious
one. But I am sure that folks on this list will contribute many other ideas.

	--Sohodojo Jim--
	www.Sohodojo.com
	www.FunFunFundraising.com
	www.SoyaWax.com