[support] Multi-Site question

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Sat Mar 13 21:20:40 UTC 2010

Luke wrote:
>> Earnie Boyd wrote:
>>> How do you prevent users from one academy working with others data now?
>
> Do you have some way for that, or is it somewhat on the honor system?

> That question related to your current configuration, not the one you are
> trying to create.  What are you doing right now, to manage content and
> users, to prevent cross contamination between schools?
>
> Answering that question, may provide some here with a better idea of how
> to advise you.

Ok. I think I understand the question now.

In brief: Users don't have the permission to edit a page created by
somebody else.

Basically, we have students learning about HTML, image formats, blogs
and other web-related stuff. Basically, they are learning how to make a
web page and how to use it to make a "web portfolio" of their work. Each
student makes his/her own pages and cannot edit someone else's pages.

Teachers and schools don't create any meaningful content. The teacher
helps the student make a web page, that's it. Then the student gets a
grade for the work.

For this reason, the issue of cross-contamination between schools really
doesn't arise. As for organization, I have basically none. We use the
profile module so students write down the name of their school, but
that's not a very practical way to find students.

I hope that answers the question. Thanks for having patience with me :-)

Thanks for the information in your email. It gave me some to think
about. I know you didn't ask about what I'm trying to do, but let me
state briefly:

1. Some teachers want to reset students' passwords or create student
accounts. I don't understand why the students can't do it themselves,
but apparently the customer is always right. :-P

2. A teacher recently asked if he can get a list of the pages for all
the students in his class. Naturally we have no idea.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Daniel.