[support] Multi-Site question

Luke drupal at lists.tacticus.com
Sun Mar 14 02:29:17 UTC 2010

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, Daniel Carrera wrote:

> Ok. I think I understand the question now.
>
> In brief: Users don't have the permission to edit a page created by
> somebody else.
>
> Basically, we have students learning about HTML, image formats, blogs
> and other web-related stuff. Basically, they are learning how to make a
> web page and how to use it to make a "web portfolio" of their work. Each
> student makes his/her own pages and cannot edit someone else's pages.
>
> Teachers and schools don't create any meaningful content. The teacher
> helps the student make a web page, that's it. Then the student gets a
> grade for the work.

Okay, I don't know about anybody else, but I had entirely the wrong idea
about what you were going after here.
Much clearer now, thanks.

That said, all of my former taxonomy suggestions stand.

However, there may be another way to go about this.  (Actually, I am sure
there are about twenty different ways, but I digress...)

Roles...

Create a taxonomy for your classes and schools, as described, to make
searching and views easier.
Create a role for each of your classes.

Give your teachers user editing/addition capability, and assign the user
the class role.

Then, use these to bring it together:
http://drupal.org/project/administerusersbyrole
http://drupal.org/project/role_delegation

> about. I know you didn't ask about what I'm trying to do, but let me
> state briefly:

After reading the above, I was going to, so thanks for saving the time.:)

> 1. Some teachers want to reset students' passwords or create student
> accounts. I don't understand why the students can't do it themselves,
> but apparently the customer is always right. :-P

Teachers, rightly so, have a mistrust of the motives of their students.
Put simply, anything students can get away with, some of them will
eventually attempt.  Therefore, anything over which the teachers can not
take instant control should they need it, is a potential weapon in their
eternal power struggle.  In addition, students prank each other all the
time (not just K-12 students: college students, weekend computer students,
etc.): "oh he left himself logged in?  I'll just change his password here,
and that'll teach him".:)  So yeah, there are good reasons, if far fetched
ones.

As I said before, this is the only part of the thing where my taxonomy
plan was not
ideal, possibly requiring a custom module.

Maybe some combination of roles and taxonomy would do it for you?

There is likely a content type visibility by role module, and the method
you are using now for preventing users from editing each other's stuff is
probably sufficient.

> 2. A teacher recently asked if he can get a list of the pages for all
> the students in his class. Naturally we have no idea.

Oh, so not just schools, but classes too--forgot about that.
A single parentage multi level taxonomy can probably take care of that.
Then you could view by school or class.

Hth.

Oh, see also:
http://drupal.org/project/user_import