[support] Multi-Site question

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Mar 14 02:07:06 UTC 2010

Luke wrote:
>  On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, Daniel Carrera wrote:
>
> > Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >> And take a look at http://drupal.org/project/domain which could
> >> be a better solution for you.
> >
> > Thanks. Looks very interesting. I have a few questions:
>
>  (Earnie, I'd particularly appreciate your comments on the below
>  described framework)
>
> > 1. Can I choose /not/ to share users between domains?
>
>  I can not answer that, but I'd bet there is a way to categorize users
>  so that they only have access to the content for their particular
>  domain (the one they signed up on?) through some of the node access
>  and taxonomy access modules.

Looking at the write ups whose links are given directly on the project
page I have determined that the answer is yes.  There is a domain users
sub-module that allows you to assign the user to a domain.  But I've
never used this module, I have only heard about it.

>  If you would like users who login anywhere on the entire system (E.G.
>   another school's page) to get automatically sent to their intended
>  school's page, one of these should be able to take care of that for
>  you: http://drupal.org/project/login_destination
>  http://drupal.org/project/logintoboggan

So these shouldn't be necessary.

> > 2. Can I have admins for just one domain? The idea is that the
> > "domain admin" would be able to add/edit users but only within his
> > domain.
>
>  I'm not sure how you would pull that off.

My guess, is that the domain user module would allow you to assign a
role for a user that would allow for the domain admin.  I really need to
take another look at this module, it could save me some cycle time.

--8<--

> > 3. Can I get a list of users associated with one domain?

If you have a profile entry for the user that contains the school, yes.
I think you said that you did that already.  The Advanced User (advuser)
module will allow you to select users for the profile field.  You might
want to look at the Advanced Profile module as well.

--
Earnie
-- http://www.for-my-kids.com