[support] How to use ajax in form_submit_handler

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 12 01:55:49 UTC 2010

Doug wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2010, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> Doug wrote:
>>> One of the issues I encountered, in Drupal 6 is that every Forms API
>>> button, thinks its a "submit" button and wants to callhome for a
>>> page refresh, rather than an asynchronous background page update.
>>
>> But you can have more than one button on the page each with its
>> different submit handlers specified with '#submit'.  Same for '#validate'.
>>

> The issue I had was this one: http://drupal.org/node/50147
> Basically every button is a "submit" button which causes a page refresh -
> the antithesis of AJAX.

All, I can say is that I too have noticed that a '#type' => 'button' is
more of a '#type' => 'submit' than not.  Too bad you're not pointing at
a Drupal core issue that could perhaps use some of what is stated in the
forum post that is no lost to deprecation.  I have yet to get big into
AJAX but do like what it can do.  I'm using the ajax item list pagers
that come with Views in Panels on my for-my-kids.com site.  Kind of nice
that I can page in the panel without refreshing the entire form.

--
Earnie
-- http://progw.com