[support] Best version control practices

dsupport at paper-ape.com dsupport at paper-ape.com
Fri May 28 16:46:39 UTC 2010

On 2010-05-28 07:50 , Ari Davidow wrote:
> I am still trying to
> think about the best way to deal with drupal configuration issues, to
> note module dependencies, and to deal with the fact that in a cms
> database, because of all of the auto-numbering dependencies, we have a
> model where we have successfully merged content and code--exactly
> where we didn't mean to be ;-).

configuration can be managed with Features and related modules which
create a system to write out configuration as a module which can be
versioned, updated and managed via the Features UI; there has been quite
a bit of work to make this a robust solution, but it takes some work to
get used to it; the project page is a good starting point:

<http://drupal.org/project/features>

content is harder, but there are tools like Deployment that attempt to
tackle the problem; haven't used it, so maybe someone else can elaborate
on that or other methods

<http://drupal.org/project/deploy>