[support] Migrating users from d5 to d7

KOBA | Hans Rossel hans.rossel at koba.be
Sun May 30 09:18:07 UTC 2010

The main problem if you export and import only the users will be the
passwords I think. Drupal 7 uses a new password hashing algorithm (see
http://drupal.org/node/29706), so you cannot just copy the user table.
Probably best would be to make a new fresh Drupal 5 installation with only
core and garland as theme, copy the user table in there (f.i. with
phpmyadmin or backup_migrate module) and then perform the consequent updates
of that simple installation to d6 and d7. When you run update.php to
finalise the d7 installation the passwords will be updated.

Hans
www.koba.be

2010/5/30 Kevin Davison <kevin at quevin.com>

> Could migrate data faster with TW than how Drupal.org suggests:
> http://www.lullabot.com/articles/drupal-data-imports-migrate-and-table-wizard.
> I'm no expert, and maybe this will encourage a better reply. I've only
> worked with Drupal 6, and soon 7.
>
> # Minor and major releases have different upgrade procedures -
> http://drupal.org/upgrade
>        "If upgrading from one major version to another, such as from 4.6 to
> 6.16, you must upgrade to the latest release within your site's major
> version (4.7), then the latest release within the next major version (5.22),
> and finally to the latest release within the current major version."
>

> On May 29, 2010, at 15:10 PM, Roy Smith wrote:
>
> > I have a site running drupal 5.  The next version of the site will be
> using drupal 7.  The content is going to be all new, but I will need to
> migrate the existing user accounts and passwords.  Is there an easy way to
> do that?
> >
> > --

Hans Rossel
KOBA Webdesign bvba