[support] Getting Drupal6 running on Debian LAMP system

Gary Roach gary719_list1 at verizon.net
Mon Sep 20 02:59:01 UTC 2010

I am trying to get a Debian Linux, Apache2, MySQL, PHP5 system going.
All of the instructions that I find assume that I am installing from a
tar file or some such. Debian installs everything, including the config
files, automatically. The Dbian installation differs significantly from
the documentation. I finally got Apache2, MySQL and
/drupal6/install.php running but immediately got the install.php error
shown below.

    Choose language

      The following error must be resolved before you can continue the
      installation process:

In your /./sites/default/settings.php/ file you have configured Drupal
to use a // server, however your PHP installation currently does not
support this database type.

    * Install Drupal in English
      <http://cruncher/drupal6/install.php?profile=default&locale=en>
    * Learn how to install Drupal in other languages
      <http://cruncher/drupal6/install.php?profile=default&localize=true>

Please check the error messages and try again
<http://cruncher/drupal6/install.php?profile=default>.

When I finally found settings.php, the file had been automatically
generated by the .deb installation script. There is nothing obviously
wrong with it. Debian notes say to use install.php at this point to
populate the data tables. Obviously this is not going to happen until
the above error is fixed.

Any suggestions.

Gary R.