[support] Mail Transfer Agent (Exim4) setup

Gary Roach gary719_list1 at verizon.net
Fri Sep 24 18:55:13 UTC 2010

I hope someone knows what they are doing out there. I use
outgoing.verizon.net as my smarthost. It requires a login of user:
passwd and also authenticates the source of the email using DNS lookup.
I have been using swaks for trouble shooting with a command line like:

swaks --auth --to <my email name>@verizon.net --server outgoing.verizon.net

This returns a list of things with the last few lines being what is
important:

<-  235 2.7.0 LOGIN authentication successful.
  -> MAIL FROM:<root at cruncher.domain>
<** 550 5.1.8 invalid/host-not-in-DNS return address not allowed
  -> QUIT
<-  221 2.3.0 Bye received. Goodbye.
=== Connection closed with remote host.

Now I know that the 550 error statement is pretty straight forward but
does host-not-in-DNS mean that I have to add something to my verizon
account, use an existing mail account in one of the log files or somehow
use one of the pieces of information returned by the hosts program.

Verizon help desk is less than useless. No documentation (2 day search)
or the Debian mailing list seems to give me the information I need. This
is an installation that must be on every server in the world. It must
not be that hard to setup or am I than dumb (I just finished a BS degree
in mathematics and age 74).

Gary R.