[support] Is Drupal Appropriate for Our Site?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Sep 24 23:25:17 UTC 2010

   This may seem trivial, but all I read about Drupal, including the
introduction in the ORA book that arrived today stresses the application of
the Drupal framework/CMS for community-content based Web sites (or
e-commerce sites). My very small consulting company doesn't fall in either
category.

   Most of the pages on our site are static; I'll add new newsletters or
white papers to the documents.shtml page, but that's about it. I would like
to add polls, a form-based e-mail capability for those who prefer to ask for
information that way rather than via regular e-mail, and -- perhaps -- the
ability to comment on issues raised in newsletters and white papers. This is
why I ask whether Drupal is really the appropriate tool for me to learn and
apply.

   I don't know that any professional services consulting company's Web site
actually generates clients. I know that a poor site can drive away potential
clients, but in the 17 years I've run my business no one has hired us
because they found our Web site somehow and decided they needed our
services. Of course, if I can actually generate new business via a spiffy,
Durpal-based site, I'll be very pleased to have that result.

   You can see the current site at http://www.appl-ecosys.com/. I'm
completely open to suggestions to make it more of an attactant, and whether
Drupal is appropriate for this type of site.

Rich