[support] Is Drupal Appropriate for Our Site?

Dick Middleton dick at fouter.net
Sat Sep 25 15:08:23 UTC 2010

On 09/25/10 00:25, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    This may seem trivial, but all I read about Drupal, including the
> introduction in the ORA book that arrived today stresses the application of
> the Drupal framework/CMS for community-content based Web sites (or
> e-commerce sites). My very small consulting company doesn't fall in either
> category.
>
>    Most of the pages on our site are static; I'll add new newsletters or
> white papers to the documents.shtml page, but that's about it. I would like
> to add polls, a form-based e-mail capability for those who prefer to ask for
> information that way rather than via regular e-mail, and -- perhaps -- the
> ability to comment on issues raised in newsletters and white papers. This is
> why I ask whether Drupal is really the appropriate tool for me to learn and
> apply.

There's 2 simple CMSs which may fit your needs better than Drupal.  Firstly
look at phpsqlitecms.  It's almost trivially simple, the data base is part of
it so install & admin is easy.  It's not a full featured CMS but it works as
far as it goes.  Here's a little thing I knocked up for a friend
http://www.asstec.co.uk.

The other one I like is cmsmadesimple.  This is more conventional but again is
not fully featured but great for simple sites.  Here's what another friend did
with it:  http://www.johnchivall.co.uk/

My experience with websites in a box it that they're not awfully good, but
worse, you get trapped into their web hosting and domain management.  If you
find don't like like them you've got a hassle extracting yourself and starting
again.

ymmv

Dick