[support] Dev Site Impact Impact on Server Resources

Greg Knaddison Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Mon Sep 27 17:51:15 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Shai Gluskin <shai at content2zero.com> wrote:
> Greg and all,
> Thanks.
> To restate differently: though as little as one task can use significant
> server resources, zero tasks cannot. And for a site to be "on", "ready" for
> a visitor to visit, it doesn't have to run any tasks (though the very next
> visitor could cause server issues if the task were intense enough). So
> running Drupal is NOT like a computer operating system: it does not require
> extra overhead (other than the basic overhead of the LAMP [or whichever]
> stack) in order to be "on."

I guess you want folks to evaluate that statement?

That is mostly true. If you are using an opcode cache they will often
store the code in RAM regardless of whether or not someone is
currently visiting that site.

I can't think of any other server resources that are consumed by a
site with literally zero visitors.

Greg

--
Greg Knaddison | 720-310-5623 | http://growingventuresolutions.com