[support] Dev Site Impact Impact on Server Resources

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Mon Sep 27 17:17:41 UTC 2010

Greg and all,

Thanks.

To restate differently: though as little as one task can use significant
server resources, zero tasks cannot. And for a site to be "on", "ready" for
a visitor to visit, it doesn't have to run *any *tasks (though the very next
visitor *could* cause server issues if the task were intense enough). So
running Drupal is NOT like a computer operating system: it does not require
extra overhead (other than the basic overhead of the LAMP [or whichever]
stack) in order to be "on."

And thanks for the suggestion about pingdom.com. I'm going to be looking
into it. I've been using websitepulse.com which can get really expansive and
the UI is a bit tough. The expense has caused me to run limited tests.
Though they certainly offer very fine grained controls and custom tests.

Thanks again,

Shai