[support] Can Drupal be customised to create a student-group hub (social-network)?

Alec Taylor alec.taylor6 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 14:48:48 UTC 2011

Good Morning,

I'd like to utilise a social-network site for student-groups using
only Free and Open-Source tools.

Mockup of the student-group homepage (dashboard):
http://i.stack.imgur.com/ggEDC.png

I am looking at various solutions both Drupal based (Drupal Commons,
OpenAtrium &etc) and not (Diaspora, Insoshi, Yogurt Social Network,
BuddyPress, Elgg, Mahara, CommunityEngine, Lovd by Less &etc).

Is Drupal the best platform for this site, or should I use something
else? — If Drupal, please tell me which modules (or distribution of
modules, or project) to use.

Thanks for all suggestions & information,

Alec Taylor