[support] Can Drupal be customised to create a student-group hub (social-network)?

Matt Price moptop99 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 14:56:19 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Alec Taylor <alec.taylor6 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> I'd like to utilise a social-network site for student-groups using
> only Free and Open-Source tools.
>
> Mockup of the student-group homepage (dashboard):
> http://i.stack.imgur.com/ggEDC.png
>
> I am looking at various solutions both Drupal based (Drupal Commons,
> OpenAtrium &etc) and not (Diaspora, Insoshi, Yogurt Social Network,
> BuddyPress, Elgg, Mahara, CommunityEngine, Lovd by Less &etc).
>
> Is Drupal the best platform for this site, or should I use something
> else? — If Drupal, please tell me which modules (or distribution of
> modules, or project) to use.
>
> Thanks for all suggestions & information,
>
> Hi  Alec,

We're using Drupal Commons for something similar to this.  You might also
want to consider buddypress, depending on your needs. It's the engine behind
the CUNY academic commons:
http://commons.gc.cuny.edu/

finally, you could think about just using google plus or some other existing
semi-standards-compliant social network.

Best wof luck,
Matt