[support] New Question with Multisite

Luis Paulo luis.barbas at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 18:49:05 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 03:29, Jamie Holly <hovercrafter at earthlink.net> wrote:
> If this is just one or two people and your public IP is pretty static,
> then you could give them your host entries you created, except change
> the IPs to your public IP, and have them install them on your computer.
>
> You can also set up a dynamic DNS server through one of the services
> listed on this page:
>
> http://dnslookup.me/dynamic-dns/
>
> Just make sure if you have a router that port forwarding is set to your
> server and that the ports are not blocked by your firewall.
>
> Jamie Holly
> http://www.intoxination.net
> http://www.hollyit.net
>

> On 8/15/2011 1:57 PM, EPA WC wrote:
>> Thanks all for your help. I was able to get site1.dev and site2.dev
>> going locally with my single drupal installation. But I have a new
>> question. Let's say I want to share my new site1.dev and site2.dev in
>> progress with someone on the Internet, how can this person get access
>> to them with my server's ip address? Is this possible? If not, how can
>> I do it? Again, I don't have actual domain names set up yet.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>> Tom

>> > Not that it won't work, but I think the canonical way is
>> >  127.0.0.1 localhost site1.dev site2.dev
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Luis
>> > --
>> > [ Drupal support list | http://lists.drupal.org/ ]

I understood you are searching for a temporary solution, just to show
your sites to a few people. any way, here is how I do it, for
15$/year.

I use a dynamic dns at dyndns with Dynamic DNS Pro service. A dynamic
ip pretend to simulate a real dns name service (to some degree) and a
fixed ip.

Say you  register a dns name like you.dyndns.org (you'll have to
install a software and probably set a cron job that will check and
renew your ip against the dns if you don't have a fixed ip).
If you are using Dynamic DNS Pro service, not the free one, then
everything ending with you.dyndns.org will be directed to you. It may
exist free solutions that do the same (?)

Add to the ServerAlias directive site1.you.dyndns.org, at site1 conf file,
Then read the settings.php to create the new sites/ directories (you
may create dirs that are symbolic links to the existing dir). On
drupal 7, you may use the sites.php file instead.
Now you may (after apache restart) tell others to connect to
http://site1.you.dyndns.org

If I may, with Nancy solution you'll have to configure the Apache
Listen directive and most likely the <VirtualHost *:80> setting. Has
the advantage that you just need you.dyndns.org redirected to you, not
*.you.dyndns.org.
Then, like before, read the settings.php to name the sites/
directories but now to select based on port (again, you may create
dirs that are symbolic links to the existing dir)
 * If you are installing on a non-standard port number, prefix the
 * hostname with that number. For example,
 * http://www.drupal.org:8080/mysite/test/ could be loaded from
 * sites/8080.www.drupal.org.mysite.test/.
don't know if you may use sites.php on drupal 7 for the ports purpose.

Also don't know if you can use ports solution with ip address (without
a dns name), like http://your_ip:81 (?). Never tried it.
Maybe through sites/81.ypur_ip (?) Don't think so, and it will only be
reasonable with a fixed ip.

if you have a router, you'll have to set port forwarding accordingly
for any solution.

On the other end, you may check a domain/hosting service with drupal
where you may upload your dev site to show.

Hope I'm making sense.
Regards
Luis